Crime

SPD investigating report of gunshots at Destiny USA

Elizabeth Billman | Senior Staff Photographer

The Syracuse Police Department is investigating a gunshot incident at Destiny USA mall on Saturday night.

UPDATED: March 5, 2022 at 10:22 p.m. 

At around 6:48 p.m. Saturday, officers working at the mall heard at least one shot fired from the center atrium area, according to an information release from SPD. The mall immediately went into lockdown. 

SPD tweeted at 7:13 p.m. that there was no active shooter at the time. People inside the mall do not need to shelter in place, the tweet reads.

Dozens of officers, including surrounding local, county and state agencies, responded to the incident, SPD said. The lockdown was lifted and the mall was evacuated after no active threat was identified. 

The preliminary investigation revealed that there was a fight between several people in the Commons area of the mall, located at the lowest level, SPD said. During the fight, one person discharged a firearm and fired at least one round, according to SPD.

Gunfire struck a window of the DSW shoe store, and the suspect and others involved in the incident fled the scene, the release reads. SPD has not located a suspect, and there were no injuries reported. 

SPD asks people with information to call the department at 315-442-5222. 

This post has been updated with additional information.